Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hi? Hi.

Dear reader,



I'm baaaack~
Peace be upon you! :)

 I don't even know where to begin. I've abandoned this blog for a very VERY long time. (melampau doh kau shez sampai lebih setahun tak update) Sorry! I got so carried away with other things and I made my blog private for a year with no update whatsoever. Yikes. Okay, enough about that. Let's move on!



Warning: A very long post ahead!



For starters, let me just say this past year has been really interesting for me to say the least. I've made new friends, got closer with some of my classmates whom I've never hung out before, turned 21, obtained Dean's list and President's list, and I've learned so much throughout the year.


Some of the subjects we had include histology technique, medical entomology, research methodology, systemic pathology, medical parasitology, and pharmacology and toxicology. We even went to Templer park to take mosquito samples. One of the students sempat tangkap Toxorhynchites larvae! (its larvae feeds on other larvae) Here's a picture of the adult mosquito I took during the lab session.

This mosquito has a bent proboscis (the mouth part) and feeds on nectar

Before heading out to Templer Park. Clockwise; Ridzuan, Yew, Tya, Hana, Tracy, Lavi, me, Chuen, and Tisha.

For systemic pathology, we had to do a 3D model of an organ with a specific disease. My group members and I had to do a model of pulmonary tuberculosis. We were one of the six winners for the project! :D Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the other 3D models since semua orang pon sibuk dengan project masing masing at the time.

From left: Yew, Tracy, me, Jassie, madam Azrina and madam Salwana. 


It looks flat, but trust me, it's 3D. :p At first we didn't know how to attach the bronchus to the lungs, so we ended up using my old pin tudung, mana boleh cucuk kita cucuk. Yew siap guna bekas kotak biskut dia to make the base, and Jassie and Tracy sacrificed their toilet rolls hahaha. The process was messy. Trying to use hpv glue, newspaper, tissue paper and all, but it was worth it.


For pharmacology and toxicology, our assignment involved singing a song about paraquat. Paraquat is a very toxic drug which is widely used as herbicide and can cause organ damage, and acute respiratory distress syndrome to name a few. (kat sini paraquat dah kena ban) So we came up with our own lyrics and sang to the beat of Lorde's 'Royal'. Nope, no video here. Segan. Hahaha



"Let me tell you about a drug named paraquat.."
"...aka 1,1-dimethyl-4,4-bipyridinium dichloride"



Beat that, Lorde.


Moving on to medical parasitology, we did a video assignment on Strongyloides stercoralis (threadworm) and won first place! (RM300 to be shared with 9 group members, that is). It was a headache trying to come up with ideas. Who's gonna do what, who's gonna edit and all that. Anyway, here's our final product posted by Yew on YouTube.





Next up, research methodology. This subject is basically to prepare us for our final year research project. If tak lepas this subject, cannot proceed to research project 1. We have to fill in a form to choose our supervisor, and wait for a few weeks to get the result.


Alhamdulillah I got the supervisor that I wanted (he is an awesome entomology lecturer) cause I had a basic idea of what I plan to do for my research which involves either entomology or parasitology since those two subjects are some of my favourite subjects to date. So far so good, but I need to do some more literature review. Insyaallah I will update on my research bila dah start.



~~~



Oh! Before I forget, we (biomedical science students) went to Gerik, Perak for a community service! So our main event is called Imra' Ramadhan where we have three sub-events under it (Program orang asli, program rumah anak yatim and urban poor). I'm placed under program ke rumah orang asli and let me tell you it's one of the most tiring most wonderful experience ever.




To help raise money for the event, my friends and I started to sell fruits all around the campus. We tried selling them in class before presentations so they have something to munch during the presentation. It's a win-win. Haha. Other than that, the students tried to collect donations and sell pre-loved items.


I was in charged under activities with the children and we did story telling, a little experiment involving soap, food colouring and milk, and we also had an outdoor balloons activity.

Presents we got them. :) We also gave everyone a goodie bag with snacks in them. They absolutely loved it. They were very energetic and very curious especially during the little experiments that we did with them.


Oh! And by the way, Salsa (my roommate back when I was staying in Prima) got married last August! The thing is, I formatted my laptop a month ago and everything including pictures semua habis. Habis semuanyaaaa (sebab tu tak banyak gambar). A few je dapat selamatkan since I have a copy from other social media sites. >_<

Soo pretty. *_* My mum berkenan dengan her dimples.

J, Salsa and I. :) Riff takde. :(



Wooh! This post is long.
Pat yourself in the back if you managed to read the whole thing. ;) Till next time, bye!




No comments: